Friday, February 3, 2023

Paul Stephen's Journal

Astrophotography and More

Simple Fix for Asus ZenWiFi “Flashing Blue Light” Problem

Let me jump to the conclusion first.  Likely, you are having the “flashing blue light” problem with your Asus router, and are looking for a solution.  I know it is frustrating and you just want it fixed!  So here is what I did.  You can read on for the details, and I also ask that you consider registering to my blog or following me for my tech articles and astrophotography!

To fix my Asus ZenWiFi AX node not connecting to my router, indicated by a flashing blue light, I simply powered off the router and then turned it back on.  Once the router was fully back, the node re-connected shortly thereafter.

Obviously this is no guarantee of a fix for your particular router/mesh issue, but it is a prudent troubleshooting action to power-cycle the relevant devices.

Recently, I decided to upgrade my home WiFi from a LinkSys AC router, which I used for about six years.  It was very reliable, but had been starting to show signs of stress due to new demands (e.g. security cameras) that I placed on my private network.

After a short tour of exploring options, I bought the Asus ZenWiFi AX mesh 2-pack.  At the highest level, I can say the setup went amazingly smooth, including a firmware update on both the router and node.  The instructions were simple and using the Asus Router app for iOS was straightforward.  It actually seemed almost too easy.

A couple of days after the setup, I decided to move the node slightly, noting that until this point, I had not powered off either the router or node since I completed my home WiFi transfer/setup to the new devices.  To move the node, about five feet, I powered it off so I could reconfigure the cables.  When I turn the satellite node back on, after pulsating green lights (normal), the LED started flashing blue, not the stable white light I was expecting!  The node was not connecting back to the router, as indicated within the Asus Router app.

At this stage, I should have realized, as an IT person, to try “rebooting,” not just the node, but the router as well.  I performed multiple restarts and resets of the router, but the flashing blue light always returned.  Specifically, there was a looping light pattern:

Power On -> Pulsing Green -> Steady Blue -> White (~1 sec) -> No Light -> Pulsing Green -> Flashing Blue -> White (~1 sec) -> No Light -> Repeats Sequence with Pulsing Green Again

I decided, for the heck of it, to restart the router, by powering it off, waiting about 10 seconds, and then turning it back on.  After the router went through its setup and was online, indicated by a steady white light, I checked the still-on node to see that its light had resumed being steady white as well!  In truth I do not know how long it took the node to finally reconnect after the router reboot, but it could not have been more than two minutes.

Interestingly, as part of the node troubleshooting, I removed the node from the Asus Router iOS app, so that my WiFi system was only showing the single router with no satellite node.  When the node’s light turned stead white again, the node re-appeared in the app, without any intervention on my part.

Here is my guess as to what happened:

The firmware upgrade caused a change in the restart/reconnect process from node to router.  Since I had not rebooted the router since the firmware update, the router was still using the “old” connect protocol from the prior firmware, but the node, after its reboot, was trying to connect to the router with the new protocol from the latest firmware.  After the router rebooted, the router activated the new protocol and everything was fine.

I would like to hear from you if you fixed the problem on your own!  Or if you have questions about my troubleshooting process for my Asus mesh WiFi, please leave a comment below!

Please consider registering to my blog! Sharing via the links below is appreciated as well.

14 thoughts on “Simple Fix for Asus ZenWiFi “Flashing Blue Light” Problem

• December 23, 2022 at 12:24 pm

Interesting and really happy to hear you fixed your issue. My node has been intermittent with solid connectivity then without cause or warning will disconnect and go into blue flashing and stay that way for hours. Then somehow re-establish connection work perfectly. This seemed like a firmware issue to me and once the node was connected I updated the firmware through the app. All seemed happy for a few hours and now back to the intermittent disconnects. It’s frustrating and I have scoured the interwebs trying to find different fixes, but nothing seems to work. This system worked perfectly for about 7 months and now staring to have intermittent connectivity issues with the node. I am using the wifi backhaul due to the layout of my house, but I may have to rethink that go wired to make this a more reliable system.

• Paul
      December 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm

Hi, sorry to hear you’ve been having the problem for so long. Though I fixed the blue light problem and it’s been good for a few months, I was having another problem, maybe similar to yours, where my WiFi would cut out and reconnect far too often. I was using the WiFi backhaul as well. I switched to an Ethernet setup using power-over-Ethernet and my WiFi has been rock solid ever since.

I have also played with the firmware a few times, doing various manual re-loads. Never have had the blue light problem since. For what it’s worth, after a firmware update I always power off both the router and node, then power on the router first, then wait “a while” before powering on the node, sometimes up to an hour.

• December 25, 2022 at 3:23 pm

Happy Holidays! Thanks for the advice and I will try to power off the router and pause for 10sec. I did a recent firmware update and i thought all was well, but the constant blue flashing LED is really an issue. with my node in full operation my bandwidth is awesome, but it drops (flashing blue) about 15 times a day if not more. If the router fix doesn’t work i will try to backhaul via ethernet and see if that fixes the problem. I have been reluctant to go that route because of how our house built..vaulted ceilings, etc.

• Paul
          December 26, 2022 at 9:59 am

Best of luck – I really do hope you find a fix. The frequent drops are the worst part, worse than the WiFi simply being down, because it is far more annoying.

I do have some follow-up notes in my latest article, particularly around node spacing that might off suggestion for the drops.

• January 2, 2023 at 1:56 pm

Found this post when searching for a solution for my ‘flashing blue light problem’, that indeed started after I triggered a firmware upgrade on my set of Asus Zenwifi AX. Your fix actually seems to have solved my problem!

• Paul
      January 2, 2023 at 2:33 pm

Awesome, glad to hear! Thanks for letting me know.

• Paul
      January 5, 2023 at 9:35 am

Sorry to hear, Tim. It seems like the simple power recycle works for some and not for others. Probably indicating there are separate types of problems that all result in the flashing light.

Regards,
      Paul

• January 9, 2023 at 3:54 pm

I am on XT12 and it was working fine with Ethernet backhaul until recently with the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22127.
    Restarting, reset to have the entire system back to its factory setting and switching between ethernet backhaul or wireless for my two satellites nodes didn’t help.

• January 15, 2023 at 6:57 am

I have an ET12 and have had the exact same problem since around the middle of December, this is clearly a firmware issue and ill be reporting it to Asus technical when the phone lines open tomorrow. Really disappointed for a £500 system.

• January 16, 2023 at 9:25 am

I have an xt8 and I would say that I have good troubleshooting skills. To all of you that have the blue flashing light problem, the fastest and easiest way to solve the problem is to roll back to 3.0.0.4.386.48706. Start with the router and then the nodes. You can thank me afterwards. And to any Asus employee reading this I would like to say, shame on you!

• January 17, 2023 at 3:30 am

I have had the same issues as well. My “solution” to it all was to downgrade to an older firmware until ASUS have resolved it in general. Download it from here and apply via the web interface. https://www.asus.com/supportonly/asus%20zenwifi%20ax%20(xt8)/helpdesk_bios/

I don’t really want to return the product cuz when it’s working it’s crazy fast and I also like the features and configurations built in.

• January 19, 2023 at 7:41 am

Also I have a XT8 2 pk. I was very happy when I bought the pair. Everything went well with the latest firmware for some weeks. Then suddenly after the first power outage it started to messing around. I downgraded the router and also the node to an older verison. On both device I run the same version of firmware. They worked well again for some weeks but after a while there was a power break again and the problem came up again… I started to play with the firmwares. I even mixed them (there were different versions installed on node and the router). Based on my experiences I would say that it is all the same which firmware version you use. The node will work properly only until its first restart. Anyway also I can confirm that starting the router at first and starting the nodes later may help. This can be a good way to make your system work again. It worths to try out. But the best would be if the ASUS developed the firmware. Must be firmware problem.

• February 3, 2023 at 12:10 pm

I also have the XT8 2 pk, unfortunately try as i might it refuses to recover using the recovery software always saying ‘ Failed to recover the system.
    I can get into recovery mode and the restore software can upload to it, but it always fails.
    i have followed all of the usual procedures advised by ASUS site.
    The one (whilst the main one work)in particular displays a slow flashing green light, I have tried the oldest firmware and the newest and neither has had any impact.
    ethernet connected using the IP provided by ASUS support video and still no joy, i think im ready to trash it.